Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Good, the Plaid, and the Ugly: Part Two

I ended last post with the shelves being hung and picture moved:



But if you take a gander at the mirror it's plain and frame-less and adds nothing to the room. So I did a little googling and most sites recommended a chair rail molding with the lip on the back to fit around the mirror. Unfortunately for me the bottom of the mirror sits directly on the bathroom sink so that was not an option. Instead I picked out some trim that had a flat back. I cut the pieces at a 45 degree angle- like a picture frame. And yes I did accidentally cut the angles the wrong way--twice. :) Too bad J wasn't there to help, the cutting part is usually his job!  I used some L-bracket's to attach the four pieces of molding together. Originally I had planned on using Liquid Nails for mirrors to simply glue the frame directly to the mirror but the way our mirror was hung on the wall with the brackets made the trim not sit flush.




With a little thought (rare for me haha), I came up with the idea of using hooks to simply hook the frame over the mirror. It actually ended up being a better solution because it's less permanent. 



And voila!


Oh, and if any one is planning on trying this at home make sure you paint the back side of the trim too because it reflects in the mirror!

Next up: Painting the vanity!

3 comments:

  1. That's great! I love the hooks tip. It looks really nice now! (Wish I could say the same for mine!) Visiting from Tools are for Women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea, with the hooks - where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I picked them up at Lowe's. Can't exactly remember which section.. But they were super cheap!

    ReplyDelete