Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Good, the Plaid, and the Ugly: Part 3

So as you know, I've been working on the bathroom. I moved a picture and hung some new glass shelves and built a frame for our mirror.


I knew I was never going to love the bathroom with the laminate wood vanity sticking out like a sore thumb. Once I got the OK from J to paint this bad boy I started immediately. Since it's laminate I wasn't exactly sure how to tackle this so I googled and I found this as a guide.

To start off I lightly sanded everything with 220 grit sandpaper to get the sheen off. I was careful not to sand down to the bare wood or particle board. I wiped down everything to get the dust off and got to priming. I used an oil-based primer. And this is where I had to practice the art of having patience.




It sat like that for 7 whole days. Talk about being antsy. No rushing the 7 days either. The primer needs that long to fully cure. I figured if I'm going to go through the hassle of this I don't want the dang thing to be scratched from anything that touched it. So I waited. And day 7 came. And then I painted. I used a color called Clean White from Lowe's pretty much because I liked the name. Clean. ahhhh. I put two coats on and then I had to work on my patience again. The paint needs to dry for 3 to 5 days before it can be hung. This is to be sure the paint has fully cured before you start man-handling it to rehang the doors.

Alas, the day came to hang the doors. And the wait was worth it.






Please ignore the basket. I need to sew the liner so that's why it looks to bad.

So, have you ever tried to paint anything laminate? Did it hold up for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment